Saturday, April 16, 2011

Paint chip Easter egg garland

I wasn't planning on decorating our home for Easter, but when I saw this tutorial on Modern Parents Messy Kids and then the next day I had to go into Home Depot... well, before I knew it, this happened:


I love how it turned out! It seriously would've taken me just 30 minutes had I been able to work on this uninterrupted (which is rare with a 2-year-old in our home!). So easy, fun and basically free! I felt a little guilty nabbing all these paint chips but I bought something else to compensate. =)

I did a few things differently than the tutorial because I didn't read the directions, just jumped right in... Since I was using Home Depot's paint chips with 4 colors, I just folded them in half after drawing the egg shape on one side so I could cut 2 eggs at once. (It looks like my egg shape was a bit smaller than hers.)


Since I don't enjoy sewing by hand, I used my sewing machine to sew straight across the white line (with white thread, set to the longest straight stitch). It hangs pretty well, just had to use some double-stick tape on a few of the eggs. If you overlap the eggs just slightly while you sew, they won't twist and turn upside-down.

I love the rainbow look of the tutorial, but I wasn't that organized and just did mine in a random order. Love this super-easy craft and Little Sweets does, too!



11 comments:

  1. Very cute! Who thinks of these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cute! hmmm, how else could you use those paint chip cards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Tricia, thanks for trying my project. I've added you to my pinterest page of readers trying my ideas. Check it out here: http://pinterest.com/modrentmessykid/reader-s-mpmk-projects/

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, cute, cute! It has been so fun to see all the different ways that people have done this project!!!! What a beautiful mantle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had fun! Nice showpiece for the home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a fun and easy project...doesn't it get you thinking about other cute ways to use paint chips?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always tempted by the paint chips. Your garland turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, FabricFascination! My mind is already working on using paint chips in other ways... stay tuned! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The Easter Egg bunting looks colorful .,... A lovely idea... Wish I had seen this before... May be next year... !!

    ReplyDelete

  10. Are you struggling with what time of day to exercise? Although there will be slight differences in sports at different time periods. But maybe you really don't need to be overly entangled. The best time to exercise is now, come and get started with NIKSA cheap workout clothes mens.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*